The installer gets you directly to using the application, as it asks you straight from the beginning which are the files that you would like Gom Player to handle as the default player and decide whether you want the basic codecs or not.
Gom Player is quite user friendly and can be operated at least as easily as any other video player out there. As soon as the installation finishes, the application opens a configuration wizard during which you're assisted into setting up the video player.
There are a lot of features available just by right clicking in the main window and you can find the usual control buttons underneath the video section. Of course, Gom Player comes with the now common themes support, so you can customize it the way you like it.
As noticed during our tests, Gom Player remains one of video players that is light on system resources and handles DVDs as well as most video formats flawlessly. The app supports the majority of media formats, including AVI, MPEG, DAT, WMV, ASF and ASX, it can deal with several subtitle extensions such as SMI, SRT, RT and SUB, and can even play broken AVI files.
All in all, thanks to its extensive support for media files, playlists and multiple customizations, Gom Player can easily become the player of choice for many users.
· GOM Player includes many codecs (XviD, DivX, FLV1, AC3, OGG, MP4, H263 and more) so you won't need to install separate codecs for most videos. For those videos that require a separate codec, GOM Player will find one and direct you to a place where you can download an open source version of the codec. That way, you won't get stuck with unnecessary codecs on your system.
Play Broken AVI Files (Patented):
· AVI files can't be played if the index is broken, or if the file isn't completely downloaded. This is because the index is located at the end of the file. GOM Player's patented technology enables users to view files with broken indexes or that are still being downloaded.
Powerful Subtitle Support:
· GOM Player supports SMI, SRT, RT, SUB(with IDX) files for subtitle. You can specify margin, location, size, resolution, font and others. You can also enable shadow, view ASF files with subtitle, karaoke subtitle mode. You can even synchronize subtitle and video if there's any mismatch.
· If you run a video file and there is already a file with a similar name in the directory, it will be automatically added to your playlist. GOM Player has a similar playlist format as M3U, PLS, ASX and you can also include and edit different media formats on that playlist as well. It's easy to create and edit your own multimedia playlist with GOM Player.
Support Different Media Types:
· Along with different media format such as AVI, MPG, MPEG and DAT, GOM Player also supports streaming Windows media format (WMV, ASF, ASX). You can also watch DVD-quality videos with 5.1 channel audio output.
· Screen capture allows you to take a screenshot of your video directly from GOM Player. Using the Burst Capture feature, you can take continuous screenshots up to 999 shots.
· There are an endless number of advanced features. Customize brightness, contrast and saturation. Sharpen and add noise to your video. Try the audio equalizer. Repeat a section of your video with our A-B Repeat feature. Fast forward/rewind a few seconds using left/right keys. And much more for you to discover!
· Intel-compatible CPU P3 or greater
· 20MB Hard Drive Space
· Some videos may require the newest version of DirectX or Windows Media Player.
· Modified the software's AAC codec.
· Removed AC3 Tab and internal options.
· Corrected a sync issue with certain TS files.
· Corrected a playback issue with certain MP4 files.
· Added playback history management options (Win7 +).
· Minor misc changes and fixes.